Friday Fictioneers: The Premonition

© roger bultot

© roger bultot

“I haven’t slept in years.”

“Why’s that, do you think?” The therapist sucked his pencil thoughtfully.

“As soon as I try to sleep I have visions of dying. Even as a child. I’d shut my eyes and I’d see my death. It didn’t stop me sleeping then. Now I’m older each night I fear death will take me.

‘You know that’s an irrational thought.”

“I know but I can’t help it.”

“Tonight you’ll sleep. I’ll hypnotize you to believe you won’t die and you’ll sleep like a dead man.”

The headlines read Dead man found in bedroom after the fire.

In response to the above photo prompt for Friday Fictioneers.

This entry was posted in flash fiction, Friday Fictioneers and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Friday Fictioneers: The Premonition

1. micklively says:

Now that’s unlucky. 😉
    Clever idea.

2. ansumani says:

Now that became a self-fulfilling prophecy….Maybe our irrational fears serve a purpose ? Nice one.

3. sometimes the cure sucks…
    Randy

“The operation was a success, the patient died.”

You write dark humor so well. I’m chuckling and shaking my head. Love those last two lines!

5. Sandra says:

People messing with your head… no good ever comes of it. 🙂 Different take.

6. gahlearner says:

Ouch! At least he died well rested. Great spin on the prompt.

7. milliethom says:

That’s put me off the idea of hypnotism for good, Irene. 🙂 As a near-insomniac, the idea appealed before. But permanent sleep’s not on my agenda just yet … Clever story and well written.

8. luckyjc007 says:

Stay away from that therapist…unless you want to get a permanent fix without even knowing your getting it!

9. Of all times he needed to be awake! Luck wasn’t on his side. Great Story Irene.

10. Glad to know that when I’m awake every morning at 4 am that it’s for a reason. Ha ha I just thought it was menopause. 😉

11. Oh the irony of that sleep…

12. rgayer55 says:

Who says dreams can’t come true? Poor guy was just dreaming the wrong dream.
    Well written, Irene.

13. Oh my! That was quite a premonition. Unique response to the prompt.