Floral Friday: An Aussie Country garden

© irene waters 2015

© irene waters 2015

Earlyn country garden is the type of place you discover when you have your sister-in-law and her husband visiting from Germany. Unlike our visits to their town where there are all manner of walks close-by, the miles between places in Australia (and they were walking) was long. We were a long walk from town and they were itching to get out. We had done all of our normal tourist trips and had discovered when we invited them to go out for a coffee that the three quarter of an hour trip to the coffee shop was beyond their comprehension. Discovering Earlyn country Gardens only a fifteen minute drive away was a delightful surprise.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Earlyn was named after the gardener’s mother Lyn and her husband Earl. It was the home garden of a large cattle property, fenced off from the beasts and kangaroos but having a wonderful backdrop of the hills and scrub country on which the cattle grazed. You can see as you wander around the garden on the slide show above the amount of love and care that went into this little piece of paradise. The flowers were magnificent. I went home with cuttings all of which took. After a good wander we sat down in the breezeway  where a scrumptious light lunch was served.

© irene waters 2015

© irene waters 2015

It’s a place I would recommend if you ever found yourself in Gloucester for several days. A good Australian country garden.

This entry was posted in Floral Friday, photography, travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Floral Friday: An Aussie Country garden

1. andy1076 says:

I can only see the first shot with my phone, but wow what a sight 🙂

2. I can see the whole series. Beautiful. Glad to see agapanthus and abutalon. Hope the spelling is correct.!

Charming garden, but I can see the vast spaces beyond! At least you can walk – here you drive or get run over!

you do make our winter doubly hard, you know. I love the garden and to think it is in Gloucester! Splendid. It’ funny t wonder at the species; taken at a glance this could easily be a classic English cottage garden with deep herbaceous borders but I’m guessing the overlap in species would not be that great. ?

• Traditional English gardens are common here because of our history. The settlers brought out the plants from the “old country” that they loved and tried to replicate the gardens. It would have been hard work in many instances but often successful. Funnily Australian native gardens tend to do well for a number of years and then just drop dead. Landscapers prefer to use the exotics (imported from elsewhere) species.

• TanGental says:

how many have become invasive species I wonder. Throughout my time in NZ we were reminded of the British obsession with importing things because ‘we knew best’ whether it was wildlife of plants with dire results.

• Many have become invasive species but I think they imported them to feel at home rather than because they knew best. Roger finds our bush very untidy and has always tried to make our farms like an English estate – I think because it fitted in with his recollections of gardens of his childhood. The results, though, in some instances have been dire.

• TanGental says:

Nah, you’re just being kind. it was arrogance pure and simple!

5. How peaceful and lovely. I have the vista of the hills, but not that beautiful garden.

6. Behind the Story says:

A beautiful garden with a glimpse of the surrounding hills. Here in Seattle, the sky is overcast and the branches bare, so the bright colors in your photos are most welcome.

7. Funny how it takes visitors to make locals discover places in their proverbial backyards. I’ve come across many people who live in tourist destinations but have never visited the places tourist visit. For instance, some people in Cape Town have never been to the top of Table Mountain. The garden is just so uplifting to see 🙂

8. Such a beautiful garden. Lovely photos. 😀

Visitors are a great opportunity to explore local gems. Or what we call “stay-cations.” A vacation at home! Beautiful place!

10. bkpyett says:

Lovely slide show showing the gardens Irene!