Shadow Shot Sunday: Shadows at Ditchling Beacon

Β© irene waters 2015

Β© irene waters 2015

We always visited England at Christmas when my husband’s father was alive. It was always cold but I loved it. I had previously only been in summer when all the hedges were in full leaf and I felt as though I was in a tunnel with limited vision. Claustrophobic. I didn’t feel this in winter as we tramped the trails in the Downs. At this stile the paddocks were icy and we laughed as we both at different times slid and fell. This day we walked from Patcham (Brighton) to Lewes where I saw tiger nuts for the first time.

In response to Shadow Shot Sunday 2

This entry was posted in Memoir, photography, Shadows, travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Shadow Shot Sunday: Shadows at Ditchling Beacon

Know it well; once upon a time I cycled up Ditchling Beacon on the London to Brighton cycle ride and other times walked the South Downs Way from The Berling Gap to Winchester Cathedral. Lovely reminder.

• As a child I loved the film Genevieve which also I think travelled that route. I didn’t know then that I would ever be there. Lovely on the South Downs. Glad to give you a reminder.

• Sherri says:

You mentioning Genevieve reminds me of this Irene: a Surrey girl until I was ten, we lived in a little hamlet right off the London to Brighton road. Trips to the beach were always to Brighton (who knew of my connection with it decades later?) and one year, Blue Peter took part in the annual vintage car rally. Mum made a huge Blue Peter emblem on a white sheet and she, me and my brother stood for hours holding it up when the crew finally drove by – Valerie Singleton et al – and Mum had us write in about it. We received our Blue Peter badges soon after, but don’t ask me where they are now, long gone…

• I don’t know that we had Blue Peter here but I can imagine the excitement and probably the badges were unthought of til now. LOL ❀ πŸ™‚

• Sherri says:

You’re right about that Irene πŸ˜€ ❀

2. Lovely, sunbathed hill, enchanting with the touches of snow and the delightful view beyond.

3. la_lasciata says:

I like being reminded of the number of locations you’ve been: it’s sort of fun, πŸ˜€

Beautiful, awe inspiring view! Oh, and the subject, too…what are tiger nuts?

• Tiger nuts are not really nuts but are grown in the ground , a bit like potatoes but small like a nut. A reddish brown shrivelled looking thing that tastes good. They are the wonder food being good for you, giving energy, fibre, packed full of vitamins, gluten free, have no transfat or cholesterol and suitable for those with nut allergies and diabetics. Of course I knew none of that then. They were one of Roger’s childhood treats which he had hankered for but they aren’t (or weren’t) available in Australia at that time. I had never heard of them and he was thrilled at finding them.

5. magicalmysticalteacher says:

Did you find a crooked sixpence beside the crooked stile? πŸ˜‰ Happy 2015!

Shadowy Blue Window

6. Judy says:

Seems like you can see forever!!

What a view! I had never heard of tiger nuts before and I read your response. Interesting!

What a fab walk my friend…let’s go, right now and then we can go for a cuppa at a tea shop in The Lanes afterwards πŸ™‚ ❀