99 word flash fiction: Stairway

Dismayed, they looked up. They’d need both hands to climb. Carefully he put the box in his pocket. He’d need that later. She removed her shoes. She’d need what toehold she could get. Almost on their stomachs they crawled upward, their white clothing blackening as the vestiges of time adhered to them. At the top they saw the next flight; Twenty four steeper vertical steps. The number of love and Karmic rewards. They climbed, belly against step. Total subjugation. Puffed, blackened and humbled they arrived at the top of the temple. The music started. “Dearly beloved” began the priest.

© irene waters 2015

© irene waters 2015

© irene waters 2015

© irene waters 2015

in response to Charli’s 99 word flash fiction challenge: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story about steps, stairs or a staircase. Where do they lead? Who is walking or avoiding them? Are they clearly defined or ancient? Why are theses steps important? Lead us on a 99 word discovery!

Respond by January 6, 2015 to be included in the weekly compilation.

This entry was posted in fiction, photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to 99 word flash fiction: Stairway

1. I think I’ve been up those steps. Angkor Wat?

I hope they stay together. I don’t think I’d be making that climb a second time. It would have to be worth it the first time! Great flash. 🙂

Whew! What a place to get married (I am assuming). Hope she wasn’t wearing a white wedding dress…
    You are so lucky to have seen Angkor Wat!

• You are right. 99 words was a bit short for me this week. I would have liked to say “strains of Wagner were heard as they neared the top of the stairs.” I saw her in white with really high heeled shoes which of course she had to discard.
      I am really lucky to have been. It really is a place for contemplation and reflection. So ancient but you could visualise the people.

4. That is AWESOME! Love it!

pretty damn impressive – and the temple isn’t bad either.

6. bkpyett says:

You capture the essence Irene with such evocative words! ❤

7. la_lasciata says:

Made me laugh, Irene ! 😀

Maybe we should all have to crawl humbly to our marriage vows to better understand the commitment! That’s a stunning flash and creates an incredible visual–the tarnished bride and groom clambering up to say their vows. Interesting place and photos, too!

• This was one I think that I should have left the photos out as I would have been interested whether the visual was obtained from the writing or whether it was from the photo. I put the photos after the writing for that reason.
      It was an interesting place – you could really let your imagination go…..

9. Annecdotist says:

Neat flash, Irene. Reminds me of some friends who got married at the top of a Scottish mountain.

• Did they have many guests? We went to a wedding on the edge of the volcano on Tanna. It was a bit sad I thought as everytime the volcano erupted (frequent) the guests would rust to the edge to look into the crater leaving the bride, groom, minister and us at the ceremony. We probably would have joined the guests had we not lived there and could visit the volcano anytime.

10. Pingback: Stairway to Anywhere « Carrot Ranch Communications

11. Kim says:

I Think it is a historical place and all of the stairs are badly destroyed. If you want to visit this place please climb these stairs carefully. Can you tell me where is it locate