99 word flash Fiction: Carrion and Plum Pudding

© irene waters 2014

© irene waters 2014

The stench of the decomposing old man’s carcass filled the air. Rotting road kill.Hit and run. In the desert heat the unfortunate fellow would bloat, explode, and have his bones picked bare by the circling vultures in only a couple of days.

Alarmed, the birds took flight when flying reindeer appeared.  Rudolf’s red nose screwed up at the malodorous vapours which suddenly invaded his sensitive, red nostrils.

“Blow this Santa. I’m not doing it. My nose is too sensitive.”

“We’ve got to deliver these toys, Rudi. Here, cover your nose with this plum pudding. Fermenting fruit beats festering coot.

Charli’s December 3, 2014 prompt:over at the Carrot ranch: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story that pairs something seasonal with something odd. You can select your own two or pick from the suggested pairings above. Keep one associated with the December holiday season.

This entry was posted in fiction, Writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to 99 word flash Fiction: Carrion and Plum Pudding

Got a great chuckle from this, Irene. Clever!

Some days, I need to remind myself not to take that sip of coffee before reading your creative writing! I nearly sputtered it all out at my screen, I got to laughing so hard! This is so wickedly whacky! Definitely two things that should never go together. Love that Rudi sounds like a whiny reindeer with his sensitive red nose!

3. Ha ha! Love your humourous flash.

Coffee? I had a mouthful of chicken pie. Health warnings Irene! Great story. I’ve often thought there’s a place for Rudolph’s diaries and this had to be one. There must be so many stories. The desert heat and dust, being forced down for infringing airspace, dodging weather barons, being shot at btpy duck hunters

5. la_lasciata says:

I thought you were a nicer person than I am: looks like I were wrong …
    Only someone at my level could possibly pair up a rotting corpse and plum pudding.
    {grin}

6. Gah! Irene…that is just gross. And kind of funny. At least I wasn’t eating or drinking. 😉 Great flash!

7. Annecdotist says:

Great fun, Irene. Wonder if it would also work with figgy pudding{

• Wonderful singing. Love the figgy pudding. I have to admit I have never heard of figgy pudding in relation to Christmas. Is it tradition in your part of England?

• Annecdotist says:

Sadly not my choir, Norah, but we will be singing this with full a orchestra at the weekend.
      Irene, I think both the figgy pudding and plum pudding are traditional version but the Christmas puddings we eat today contain neither figs nor plums, although they’re stuffed with other dried fruit. Not that I’m particularly fond of them myself.

• We grew up with plum pudding. My husband who comes from Brighton tells of his mother’s pudding where she made it mid year and it hung in the larder until Christmas. He has always scorned our plum puddings as not the real thing. Now we just buy what Aldi calls plum puddings and they aren’t bad although probably not the real thing either.

Is that your choir Anne?

I definitely hadn’t considered carrion an issue for Santa and Rudi on their travels. Maybe our local kangaroos would fare better being more used to road kill. Great flash!

Haha…I’m not eating or drinking so am safe…love it, great flash Irene, I knew you would come up with something wildly different and I’m not disappointed 🙄

11. Pingback: Reindeer Games « Carrot Ranch Communications