Bite Size Memoir Number 8: Dressing Up

© irene waters 2014

© irene waters 2014

© irene waters 2014

© irene waters 2014

For fancy dress parties in the early days I was Little Bo Peep and my brother a cowboy. Twice this varied — once going as Sad Sack and another time when we went as Siamese twins in my Father’s pyjama pants. We were co-joined at the back and I drew the short straw and walked backwards all night.

It was a dress up in adult hood that had me itching to get out of my costume. I was the male lead in a musical – I can neither sing nor profess to being male. At one point I had to sport a beard. This was easily done and appealed to my recycling bent as I collected my dog’s hair for the weeks prior and wove it into a hairy beard with no thought to the allergy I would suffer as a result.

© irene waters 2014

© irene waters 2014

To join in Bite Size Memoirs visit Lisa Reiter’s site.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This entry was posted in Memoir and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Bite Size Memoir Number 8: Dressing Up

1. fictionfitz says:

You have quite a life in pictures. I still maintain the same picture of me for my newspaper column that I submitted ten years ago. I am not ready to tell them (or me) that I have gotten older.

Great pics. And what a beard. Wild man of Wagga Wagga if I’m not much mistaken

3. This was amusingly enjoyable!
    If this challenge is still around when the weather starts to cool, I may play along. Too too busy now 🙂

4. ChristineR says:

You must have been cursing that beard for weeks! And doesn’t your brother look like on ornery hombre in the cowboy outfit. And Irene, you make such a cute Bo-peep. 🙂

• ChristineR says:

… one ornery hombre … I used to love reading dad’s westerns. Thanks for teh reminder of Sad Sack, my mum’s favourite comic book characer after Popeye.

• Sad Sack was my father’s favourite. We scrubbed up well as the ornery cowboy and Bo-peep. And yes I did curse the dog hair for awhile (until the rash went away). I looked like I had a red beard for a few days afterwards and it was so hard not to scratch.

Love this Irene! What great pics you have from your childhood! My mum only has a few of me but of course I have loads of my kids! I’m still trying to decide what to do for my memoir piece for dressing up…endless possibilities! I hope the allergy attack wasn’t too bad and I hope you don’t mind me laughing just a bit (but not at the allergy attack) as it sounded so funny, with the dog’s hair woven in like that…I’m really giggling now, can’t stop….hahahaha!!!!!!
    Okay…recovered just enough to say I absolutely love you as Bo Peep…priceless 😀

6. Bo Peep is so cute! Lovely photo memories, Irene.
    And congratulations – I’ve just nominated you for a thoroughly well deserved Quintet of Radiance award!
    writingmynovelnoworkingtitleyet.blogspot.com

7. Irene, this made me chuckle! I love your pictures and wish I had more of my own. A beard made of dog hair – good grief! Fantastic bite -sized memoir!

8. Lisa Reiter says:

Oh look at you – so cute! Especially aboard the ship and so BRAVE playing a male lead in a musical when you cannot sing!! I bow to your bravado. What a wonderful sense of fun you show Irene and the photos are an absolute treasure aren’t they – must take more of my boy – if only he would get past that phase of hiding his face.. Thank you Lisa xx

• Yes I’m amazed that I was let loose on deck without reins or a parent to stop me going overboard. I’m sure that most of the voyage I was probably firmly contained. Yes take lots of your boy Lisa. It is such a pleasure to have the images of times that you don’t remember.

That’s the best/worst costume idea ever–a dog hair beard! Love your photos!

10. What fun memories, and fabulous photos! I agree the dog hair beard was the best / worst costume idea of all time. I also got a kick out of the siamese twin costume with the two of you in your Dad’s pants! 🙂

11. The Siamese outfit was great except my brother didn’t make any allowances for the difficulties it created for me. 🙂

12. Pingback: Dressing Up – Bite Size Compilation | Lisa Reiter - Sharing the Story

13. Pingback: Bite Size Memoir: Bad Hair Day | Reflections and Nightmares- Irene A Waters (writer and memoirist)

14. Pingback: Bad Hair Day | Jennifer B. Graham