A Lingering Look at Windows: Week 9: Gaudi

© irene waters 2014

© irene waters 2014

© irene waters 2014

© irene waters 2014

Designed by Antoni Gaudi, The Casa Batllo , now a world heritage building is one of the must see buildings in Barcelona, Spain.  Gaudi was an architect who belonged to the Art Nouveau (Modernisme period in Spain) and was famous for his unique styles and individualistic designs. When he gained his architect’s title in 1878  Elies Rogent who signed it declared “Who knows if we have given this diploma to a nut or to a genius. Time will tell”.  Time has told.  Constuction of the building commenced in 1905 and completed 1907.

The landscape, the old architecture and nature of the country was so striking as we travelled between Barcelona and Pamplona that it was clear that it would inspire great artists such as Picasso, Salvatore Dali and Gaudi. It would be difficult, I thought, in that environment not to be creative.

This entry was posted in A Lingering Look at Windows, photography, travel and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to A Lingering Look at Windows: Week 9: Gaudi

1. It is really special and very beautiful.
    Irene

2. Cee Neuner says:

Oh what a unique and cool building. Great photos!

3. Rose Red says:

Love this! Me and my husband came across these buildings in Barcelona, when we weren’t actually looking for them – it was a stop-and-stare moment! They do really fire the imagination.

• Yes Rose Red. We were much the same (I have to admit ignorance to knowing it existed). We parked in a parking station around the corner from it and then just happened to walk past. Like you it was a stop and stare moment and I’m actually glad I didn’t know about it beforehand. Thanks for commenting. Irene

4. litadoolan says:

Wonderful post. I love Gaudi! Great image showing the work brilliantly. Just beautiful.

5. andy1076 says:

I always loved architecture, really wish they’d make ones like these in structures these days 🙂

6. M. R. says:

Been there. Seen them. LOVED seeing them again!!!!

7. lindalh says:

Very beautiful, very impressive. Parts of it remind me of icing on a fancy cake, yummy!

8. I remember seeing these buildings when I visited Spain many years ago and they are just so original and amazing with their building techniques. Great photos. 😀

Ha ha! Time has certainly told! Goodness Irene, what amazing photographs of amazing windows and architecture! My middle son went to Barcelona some years ago with his class when he was studying O Level Geography. He fell in love with the architecture and has been telling me ever since that we simply must to there! Reading your post now makes me really want to go as soon as possible! Great post, thank you 🙂

10. Heyjude says:

Wonderful photos of a unique building – I’d love to see this.

11. mithriluna says:

Beautiful images.

12. Love this. I first learned about this place last year when it was used as a photo prompt for Friday Fictioneers. Just gorgeous!