In summary, the basic hallmarks of Gonzo journalism are:
- First-person narration.
- Dialogue complete with vernacular.
- Lots and lots and lots of detail.
From late morning a helicopter had been flying and buzzing around in the sky. I decided to head out in the direction it was circling and see if I could find out what was going on. The helicopter would fly around the area, always seeming to return to hover in one position for several minutes before flying off again. The drone constantly audible.
It wasn’t long before I came across a weather-beaten, older man dressed in baggy grey trousers, a long sleeved, hole peppered shirt, which had probably once been white, and a worn felt wide brimmed hat. He held out his hand in greeting, his lined face turning into a multitude of ravines as he smiled at me.
“What’s happening?” I asked him.
“ The Westpac rescue helicopter flew over this morning goin’ to an accident and spotted a crop of marijuana growing in the hills. Size of a couple of football fields theys reckon. So well disguised it was theys couldn’t find it on foot and had to send in de police helicopter to find it. Would’a taken ‘im days to build them terraces they say are up there. All set up with automatic water. Ready to harvest. Couple of million dollars worth. We knew something was goin’ on there. A few people had told the local police they suspected something, but they didn’t want to know. Couldn’t ignore it when Westpac reported it.”
At that moment the man’s neighbour drove up and stopped. Everyone was buzzing with the news. “They could have caught him. All they had to do was stake out Jim’s place by watching it from my place. Every day he used to go up that mountain. They could have just watched and followed and caught him at it.” Robbie said.
© irene waters 2014
- Weekly Writing challenge: The Shining | Just Visiting This Planet
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Three Ways to Go Gonzo | Believe
- Pagans in the Park | Witty or Not, Here I Come
- Mortuaries Insult My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- So You Think Your Breaking Up With Me | Pennine Photography
- Three Ways To Go Gonzo | Muggle Magic
- Dear Veronica, Thanks for the coffee | ❤ ART BLOG
- Fearful and Loathsome/Gone Gonzo/Weekly Challenge | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Live In The Moment! Have A Heart! Life In Recovery Does Expire….. | Recovery Ramblings Blog ~ Author Catherine Lyon
- Prior to the Pageant | JGTravels
- A Simple Matter Of Buying Stamps Part 2 | Fish Of Gold
- The Gig. | Babbleogue
- Gonzo Journalism of My Day… With an Imaginative Tangent | The Interworkings of the Mind of Victoria
- Warrington, Casey
- The Eunuch – DP Writing Challenge | Becca Joyce
- Daydreams and prostitutes… Me, Gonzo, and Manet! | Abstractions of Life
- What Time is it? | Mary J Melange
- Just Checking Please… | peacefulblessedstar
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Three Ways to Go Gonzo | MARGARET ROSE STRINGER
- Heated Argument | themagzee
- Starstruck | The Pen Speaks Better
- Gonna do it… | Love.Books.Coffee.
- Breaking Up Is Hard To Do | Perceptive Pot Clueless Kettle
- GONZO GEORDIE HAD AN AX | SERENDIPITY
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Three Ways to Go Gonzo | Chiquitita
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Three Ways to go Gonzo | thejimmieG
True? – sounds like it could well be. If not, you’ve taken bits of truth and melded ’em. Bravo.
Bits of truth and melded it. Thanks
Pingback: Weekly Writing Challenge – Gonzo Journalism | Joe's Musings
Pingback: Weekly Writing Challenge: Wheels of misfortune | ThE cRaZy NiGeRiAn