Weekend Coffee Share 25th March 2017

weekend-coffee-share-new-home-nerd-in-the-brain-1

Welcome and come on it to our new house. It may be a mess but I have all the makings for tea, coffee, hot chocolate and a variety of cold drinks. Whatever you desire.

If we were having coffee I’d tell you that we moved a fortnight ago next Tuesday. The removalists were great despite us making it incredibly hard for them. We arranged for the carpets in our new place to be shampooed on the morning of the move not realising that the fellows we had hired only had a small truck and were ready to bring the first load around 8.30 am. It was a miserable day although it was only light rain until we finished. Then it bucketted down. This meant the carpet didn’t dry quickly and everything had to be left downstairs. We also made it hard for them with our fish tank which Roger refused to fully empty thinking the lads were young and fit and if he and my brother had moved it up the road then the removalists could move it easily. Not so but they were so good and helpful and kept a smile on their faces all day despite tiring as the day wore on.

If we were having coffee I’d tell you that we have had no end of problem with our phone and internet with the move. We didn’t have a phone connection for a few days and internet for a week. When we were finally up and running the rain had led to a very noisy line and it couldn’t be used anyway. Thankfully now that is all fixed. It did mean however that I did little to no posting. With the huge number of boxes to unpack this was probably a good thing. I’ll probably get back to normal in another week as I finally get things organised.

I’d also tell you if we were having coffee that two days after the move I went to the Gold Coast for my 40 year nurses reunion. It was a great break and lovely to catch up with everyone. Three years ago there had been no deaths but now we have two and numerous battling illness. It really brought it home to me how important it is to live in the moment. Not as though each day is your last but just making sure that each moment counts.

IMG_0657

© irene waters 2017

IMG_0665

© irene waters 2017

Not only was the reunion a lot of fun but we also found an international eatery that I still drool over. I had the Hungarian Langos and it was delicious.

IMG_0531 (1)

© irene waters 2017

IMG_0535 (1)

© irene waters 2017

If we were having coffee I’d tell you we went and saw the new David Williamson play The Odd Man Out. It was a relationship tale of a woman and a man with Aspergers. It was very well acted, the dialogue clever, and the situation presented with  tenderness, understanding, humour and great drama. For me though it was fairly predictable and presented information that I already knew albeit in an engaging manner.

If we were having coffee I’d tell you Bundy had surgery yesterday and had most of his teeth removed. He came to us as a rescue dog at 8 years old with already rotten teeth. Our new vet was prepared to operate where our old one felt his heart may not take the anaesthetic. He survived and I think he is going to feel much better for it. We are told he will still be able to eat dry dog food but at the moment he is lapping up chicken and mince and thinking he has gone to heaven. I have to admit I was a little worried when last night he became very sleepy and was incontinent, lying in his puddle of piddle. Thankfully he seems to be right back to normal today.

IMG_0714

© irene waters 2017

Now it is your turn. How was your week? Has your weather been warmer/colder, wetter/drier. Have you read any good books or seen any good films?  Thank you for dropping in for coffee and thank you to Nerd in the Brain for hosting our weekend coffee. Other places to drop in for coffee can be found here. Hope to see you next week.

This entry was posted in daily events, photography, Weekend Coffee Share and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Weekend Coffee Share 25th March 2017

1. A. E. Robson says:

I so enjoy these coffee interludes with you. Not often do I get to enjoy them at my leisure, but this week is an exception. Taking a self imposed retreat time to catch up on some writing, enjoying the spring weather, all be it fresh and exhilarating to walk in, and read the blog pieces and books I have been saving for the occasion. Thank you for the coffee. See you next time.

• Glad to share them with you Ann. I can understand taking a retreat. I find it so difficult to keep up with everyone and so far the retreats I have taken haven’t given me the leisure to spend on that catch up. One day soon though. I hope you get your writing done and enjoy your spring weather. A nice time of year after a long winter. It is one thing I miss living in the tropics is the joy of spring sprouting and blossoming. See you again

2. mukhamani says:

Liked your post, hope Bundy will feel fine so soon.

3. Maggie C says:

I’m glad Bundy made it through okay. He will likely feel much better for it. Thanks for the coffee.

4. No major move goes well. I dread the thought of moving and happy none is in sight. Nice Bunch made it through the surgery. The reunion sounds like you had fun. Have another good week.

5. amiewrites74 says:

Moving is always stressful and there are often hiccups. Glad you are finally up and running with phone and internet. Thank goodness Bundy is recovering well. Have a good week!

6. Ugh! Moving! My second worst nightmare is movers going through my underwear drawer so I pack it all up in a suitcase and drag it around with me until I can unpack it in the new place. So glad Bundy made it through the surgery and the Reunion looks like it was a lot of fun. :o)

7. Poor Bundy! He’ll be on pablum the rest of his life – or will he get doggie dentures? Still, to have his sore, rotted teeth removed must feel so much better. As for moving houses – a giant yuck! I really dislike moving and hope you and Roger can settle in for a good long habitation of your new residence.

Me? What an awful week. I called our homeowner’s association to ask them to look at several of the eucalyptus trees that look close to falling over, especially one leaning precariously over our house. So they came and cut it down so that it fell on our house! Called the association and the rep said it was a professional company and it was the only way to cut the tree (of course it was not and was done incorrectly.) I asked if that was so correct and professional, why hadn’t they called to make sure I was out of the house so that when the tree fell, it didn’t crush me? Had no answer – I called my insurance agent. Bet this dangerous tree cutting will never happen again.

Still dealing with trustee my mom’s estate which means he is still losing checks and not responding to my questions until he gets around to it and otherwise making me angry and stressed.

Then got a call from where my mom lives and rushed to meet her at hospital where they diagnosed a UTI, seriously dehydrated, and very high blood sugar. IV’ed antibiotic and saline with supplements, and then I drove her home after 5 hours, during which time she rambled on and on and on and on, unable to remember a single thing I had just said to her. I got home at 2:30 0am, totally worn out. Alzheimer’s is so unpredictable.

Other than that it’s been a wonderful week, and as long as none of it ever happens again, I’ll be just fine. 😀

Love your nurses reunion photos – what a unique relationship to celebrate, and 40 years – that’s fabulous!

(That was two cups of coffee!)

• My head is whirling. Wow in a bad way. What a week you’ve had. I imagine someone’s insurance will cover the repairs but it sounds to me as though the tree feller didn’t have a clue as to what he was doing and to leave you in the house if he knew it was going to fall on the house. Why cut it if it had to fall on the house. Let it fall in a storm if the outcome was to be the same and then there would be the chance it would never fall. Eucalyptus are renown though for suddenly breaking off.
      Your Mum’s trustee sounds incompetent at the least. She is lucky she has you looking out for her as well. Hope she has fully recovered from the UTI. That can cause massive confusion by itself let alone when someone is already suffering with
      Alzheimers.
      I got it really cranky yesterday. My Mum received a letter from the government telling her that unless she negotiated a home care package she would lose her place in the queue. She has been having home care since 2013 where she has assistance with showering. She thought this would stop and she was in a panic and didn’t know how to go about negotiating with a provider. This was what made me angry. Older people should not have to negotiate how much they will pay for a service. The providers have them over a barrell – they need it so they will pay anything to have it. I told her to ring the elder abuse hotline and tell them the govt was abusing her by confusing her and making her negotiate for services. She rang and all was made clear in minutes and the stress that was taken off her shoulders as a result was massive. I don’t know why they send these letters to the elderly.
      Now tree cups of coffee but love chatting with you.

8. Dale says:

Moving is never easy nor totally smooth! But it’s done so I’m happy for you.
    I’m also happy Bundy made it through his surgery and is bouncing back.
    Have a great week!

Thanks for the cup! It’s sunny but cooler and we’re going to be on the move again. Convenient to have an RV, but we still don’t have a way to pull it. Todd is driving 1200 miles to pick up a truck and he’s anxious about the trip and getting back before the move out date. The RV park is full and we have to pull out Monday. Other than that, I’m busy at the computer and wondering where we’ll head next. Glad Bundy is enjoying special vittles and doing well. Lovely cake! Good message about living each day as a gift.