Weekend Coffee Share 17th April 2016

newcoffee

Welcome. Come in and have a cup of coffee but I’ll warn you, I’m a tale of woe this week so you may prefer to say hi and move on quickly. You’re staying? Okay what do you want tea, coffee or bonox?

If we were having coffee I’d tell you that this week has been hard going. My Mum’s back deteriorated. She has not lain on a bed now for over a week. I dropped in on my way to Toastmasters and stayed. She was in agony and at the end of her tether. She didn’t feel that she could walk to my car so we called an ambulance. No beds at Noosa hospital so we were taken to Nambour Hospital, not knowing that they didn’t have beds either.  The ambulance officers had to wait in the corridor with Mum on their stretcher. They remained responsible for her until they got their bed back. Mum was by now screaming in pain. She needed to get up so a wheelchair was found. Once she was in that she was classified as an outpatient and was sent to sit with the hordes of people in the waiting room. I felt as though we were on the set of a brilliant satirical film starring George C Scott called The Hospital. We had arrived at 7pm and by 10.30pm I was starting to feel weary and knowing I had a 45 minute drive home at the end of it enquired as to how much longer it might be. At least another 2 hours to get into an examination room and longer before being seen by the doctor. We decided to leave and try our luck at Noosa Hospital which would give me a short drive home afterwards. Mum screamed in pain the whole way there and luckily we were seen immediately. Endone given Mum was sent home. Tuesday we had the CT and couldn’t get into the doctor despite trying and leaving messages. Wednesday whilst out walking the dogs I got a phone call from our house guests that Mum had rung and sounded dreadful. I rang her and luckily whilst on the phone Blue Care arrived and took the decision out of my hands. The nurse rang an ambulance and we were off again. We spent the whole day in casualty with injections being given, until finally they told us we could go home. My Mum’s back is shot and there is nothing they can do for her. I protested and told them I couldn’t cope and Mum should not be like this at home alone. I requested she go to Eden rehab hospital. They agreed. I am so impressed with the care and medical and physio staff that I have come across there. Although Mum still hasn’t got into bed, her pain is better controlled although I think the pain killers are sending her to sleep. I’m just happy the pain is now bearable and we are seriously looking at how we can manage this into the future. It is horrible seeing someone you love in agony and being helpless to do anything about it.

If we were having coffee I’d tell you that I have made a big mess of my thesis. I’m in the final stages and I was told to put my creative work and exegesis in the one file. It took me a week to do this and adjust the fonts (as they were different) then fix up all the formatting problems I had as a result of this. All the while I was doing this I had a niggling feeling it was the wrong version I was using. Friday night I worked out how I could tell. The newest version all dialogue marks had been changed to single instead of the double. It confirmed I had added an old version. I have deleted it and now I have to start again adding this new version. This is such a time consuming task that I could do without, especially as we have visitors staying and now an hour trip to Cooroy to visit Mum.

If we were having coffee I’d tell you that the bright spot in the day was the Toastmasters Fun day where I participated with a poetry reading in the interpretative reading competition and in the debate. It was a lot of fun.

FullSizeRender-1

If we were having coffee I’d tell you blogging has also been fun this week although with everything going on I am getting way behind with replying to the comments which I really appreciate. I am going to have to learn how to use an ipad to reply.

I better get going. Dogs to walk, Mum to visit, and thesis to repair. Hope you have a great week. Thanks for dropping by and having a cuppa. Thanks also to Diana for hosting the weekend coffee share.

This entry was posted in musings, Weekend Coffee Share and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Weekend Coffee Share 17th April 2016

1. eschudel says:

Sounds like you had quite the week. I hope things are better this next week – good luck with your thesis, and I hope your mom improves.

2. You did have a bad week. I thought our doctors and hospital were bad, but I never experience what you did.Technology has out strip the number of poeple needing service. Terrible to read about your thesis. Good Luck making the changes.

3. lifelessons says:

Oh dear. This is a horrible experience for your mom and you. How could they let this happen? When you say your mom has not gotten into bed, do you mean she is sitting up? Hope the best for both of you.. and glad you have had some pleasure during this painful time.

• Thanks Judy. Yes she is sitting up. She cannot stand the pain the minute her legs are stretched out on the bed. Whether it puts pressure on the spine or what I don’t know. The first day they experimented with all different positions the bed could be manipulated into and in the end left her sitting up. Sadly it is age and a crumbling spine and I don’t know if it is able to be improved a lot.

• lifelessons says:

Just can’t bring myself to hit the “like” on that one. Has she tried acupressure or reflexology? I have a masseuse who can relieve my sciatica with one session. Seems as though reflexoloty, acupressure and acupuncture are worth checking out if you haven’t done so. Poor lady.

• I had the Bowen therapist visit but that only accentuated things. She has now had an ultrasound of her hip and it has shown a problem so she is being injected into it today. I’m hopeful that soon she may again go to bed rather than go to chair.

4. My heart goes out to you and your Mom. Praying for you both. God Bless.

5. Irene, I’m so sorry to read this, wasn’t sure I could click the “like” button. My dad was also in excruciating, debilitative back pain the last 3 years of his life and managed to get himself hooked on Vicodin (a dangerous, addictive drug, not sure you have it in Australia) because he was a physician and wrote his own prescriptions. He then underwent a surgery that made his condition even worse. Only mentioning not to one-up you but to suggest you keep a sharp eye on what the medical team suggests for your mom. It is awful to watch the people we love suffer so much.
    I hope the thesis comes together – wish I could help you with this. Any way they could grant a brief extension so you can see to your mom’s needs?
    Please tell your Mum I’m saying the prayer for healing on her behalf. My heart goes out to all of you.

• You know what it is like Sharon. They have already suggested surgery but her heart is not in a good condition so I think it is out of the question. Don’t worry. Not only I will keep my eyes open but Mum is very astute when it comes to what she should be taking. I do think though that she is being fuddled by the pain killers but she needs something to let her get through the agony of it all.
      With the thesis it is my own stupid fault. I had an inkling from the start. I should have just made certain before I had done all the work. Formatting takes so long to do but it will get there.
      Mum will welcome your prayers. Thanks Sharon.

6. trentpmcd says:

Doesn’t sound like a very good week! I’m really sorry about your mom. It must be awful for everyone. I hope she’s at least sleeping OK. And your thesis – wow. At least that should be mostly done.

I hope next week is much better.

7. Irene, I’ll pray for your mom and for you! I hope she can get the help she needs. I am happy to hear that you got a chance to do something for yourself. Your Toastmasters group is a great outlet for you.

8. KB Garst says:

I hope next week is better for you! Very sorry about your mom.

9. Deb says:

I’m so sorry you’ve had such a bad week! I understand your mums pain…Mike suffered from degenerated disks in his lower spine and would scream out in pain also. He eventually was confined to a wheel chair… Nothing ever seems to go right when you’re stressed out!

10. Margaretha says:

Your poor mom! What an awful experience. Glad she got into Eden rehab, sounds like the right place for her at the moment. Hope this next week is a bit easier on you.

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum’s pain, Irene. I hope they can do something to ease her situation. It is a dreadful thing to see someone you love in so much pain and not be able to do anything about it. Worse for them, of course.
    I hope you get your thesis woes sorted soon.
    I hope things improve all round this week.

12. What an aweful experience for you both. I am glad the rehab place turned our to be exactly what she needs and is helpful. Your Toastmasters Fun Day sounds very interesting. Hope next week improves and you get your thesis sorted.

• Thanks Max. I’m sure that if any place can sort my Mum out this place will. At least she won’t be alone with her pain even if she does have to sit up all night still. The thesis will happen. The closer the deadline the better I will work so I know it will happen. Thanks for dropping by. Hope you have a good week.

13. Debbie H says:

All the best to you and your mum. Take care!

14. Rhio says:

Sending positive thoughts to your mum

15. Diana says:

Oh my goodness, what a week! I’m sorry to hear that your mom has been in so much pain, and I’m glad to hear that the new place is working out better for all of you. Also sorry to hear about your formatting troubles with the thesis…I remember going through the combining of files and such to get my thesis into one big, final file, and it was a right pain in the arse. I do hope you and yours have a better week this time. ❤

16. Completing a thesis is a hard thing to do, never mind doing it while preoccupied with a sick mum. I hope that both your mum’s illness and the demands of the thesis ease off soon. You are under a lot of stress right now, but you will find the strength somehow. That seems to be the nature of people who attempt and accomplish so much! My best wishes are with you!

17. Oh my…what a hard week, indeed! Hoping it all turns around quickly. Holding you in my thoughts!