Sightseeing: Friday Fictioneers

copyright-ron-pruitt

©

In high anticipation, we checked out our travelling companions. Our tour headed north then west, south down the middle of the continent and finally east as we made our way home. Although some good-looking sorts boarded mainly they were couples or elderly. Still, we were going for the scenery not a romance. They’d packed our itinerary with tourist attractions.

We took our seats towards the rear. Today we’d see the prickly pear as we hit the edge of the desert and the dingo fence. We were off.

The motion lulled us and we slept for the next fifty-six days.

In response to the photo prompt  provided by Ron Pruitt and the hosting by Rochelle who invites us to write a flash of no more than 100 words and link up via the blue frog on her site. If you don’t want to write have a read as there is always a varied talented selection to read.

This entry was posted in creative writing, flash fiction, Friday Fictioneers and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Sightseeing: Friday Fictioneers

1. At least they’ll feel refreshed afterwards!

2. ceayr says:

Laughing here, Irene.
    Sad but funny.

3. Sandra says:

I’m afraid a coach journey might have pretty much the same effect on me. 🙂 Good one.

Love it, Irene! I can so identify. It’s one reason I’m reluctant to go on a driving holiday – I’d sleep all the way and miss the scenery. Now the view from an airplane – I can’t sleep through that, and the scenery changes constantly. As long as it’s not cloudy! 🙂

5. I love that last line – so dead-pan, so funny.

6. That’s so funny! It could so easily have been me.

Rosey Pinkerton’s blog

7. No romance, no sights, but who the best of all… sleep 🙂

8. gahlearner says:

This is so funny. I’m on a bus for three hours every week–and always fall asleep.

9. Dave says:

That’s a lot of beauty rest.

10. Tour from Sleepy Hollow. 🙂

janet

11. I’m laughing out loud. A good thing, too, as another friend’s blog explained how laughter depresses allergies. Thanks for my good health this morning, Irene.

• You’re more than welcome. I went to a laughter yoga session where we all had to laugh. Apparently even laughter not meant will be beneficial but it was amazing the way the laughter started to come spontaneously and I did feel better afterwards. I came home and told Roger we were going to make a practice of having laughter sessions where we stood and laughed at each other. Lasted a couple of times but I’m convinced it is a good thing to do. So glad to make you healthy this morning.

12. M-R says:

Hilarious ! 😀

13. Dear Irene,

At least it will be a relaxing tour. 😉 Well done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

14. Dale says:

Nothing like paying big bucks to get your ZZZs in!

Hah hah! Irene. Been there, done that. We took a tour of Savannah and Charleston and the Barrier Islands shortly after I had one knee joint replaced. I slept through most of the bus time.

Airplanes knock me out before I even take off! Trains, I can’t sleep. But busses — I’ve had some strange experiences and wouldn’t dare fall asleep. Funny story, though! Love that zinger of a last line.

17. This was funny, thank you for making me laugh.

18. Great ending, thanks for the laugh 🙂

This is great, made me laugh out loud! I can’t stand bus or coach tours, and sleeping through one would be a mercy for me! I travelled by two buses – school and public – for five years when I was at school, that’s what did it for me. Great flash Irene, well done!!

20. Lol! This would happen to me – I always fall asleep in the car.At least they had a nice rest 🙂

21. ansumani says:

ha ha . Good one.

22. rogershipp says:

I’ve never endured a bus ride…. It does not sound promising! Well done!

23. Margaret says:

Having driven across this country (Sydney to Perth) from east to west, I can fully understand the desire to sleep in the flat, empty desert country. I hope they all felt better at the end.Good story.

24. I had planned a bus trip for this Christmas Season, it was to be my first. It fell through but from what I read I guess I didn’t miss anything. Lol