99 Word Flash Fiction: Lost Virtue

“Stop it.” Katrina struggled against the man who pushed her to the floor. She could hear her friend and the male she was with grunting with enjoyment.

“I said stop. Stop! I don’t want to.”  The man pinned her down and her tiny frame was no resistance to the man intent on pleasuring himself.

Spent, the man collapsed, ignoring her.  Sobbing, Katrina crawled away, longing for the cleansing shower although nothing would make her whole again. She felt dirty, used. She’d saved herself. For what?

Katrina inhaled deeply. She had choices. This wouldn’t destroy the rest of her life.

Written for 99 word flash fiction Challenge with Charli Mills. She invites everyone to:

September 9, 2015 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story about someone or something that’s lost. It can be lost in a setting (storm, darkness, ocean) or it can be a feeling. Is there a recovery? What are the consequences of remaining lost? What are the opportunities?

Respond by September 15, 2015 to be included in the weekly compilation. Rules are here. All writers are welcome!

If you don’t want to write come along and have a read. It is amazing the places people can take you to in 99 words.

This entry was posted in creative writing, fiction, flash fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to 99 Word Flash Fiction: Lost Virtue

Woo, a hard story to start the day with. Powerful tale Irene.

2. lifelessons says:

Thanks for the link, Irene. Wish more people gave them. Wish so many women hadn’t experienced what yu have written about, but alas…

• We knew the father of one of a group of school girls that were violently gang raped. It got a lot of publicity here. Interestingly two of the girls made the choice not to let it destroy them. The other three have not had a life since. It is a dreadful thing to happen to any woman but so sad if they lose not only their virtue but also the rest of their life.

• lifelessons says:

I know. It is amazing the ways different people respond to the same situation. I’m wondering how the lives of the men have differed since as well. Hopefully they wre caught and went to prison.

• lifelessons says:

Are you in Aukland, Irene? Was this one of the long string of rapes by the notorious rape club? Sickening. I can’t believe they were never prosecuted, so far as I’ve heard. One lost his job. They had to take down their Facebook page. I can’t believe it went on for as long as it did. Those young men were morons. But, perhaps this is another case. Horrible nonetheless. A new anthology is coming out regarding violence to women and their empowerment. I have a rape poem in it. It is being published by an Israeli publisher. I’ll let you know when it comes out.

• No Australia. The men are in prison and hopefully will never be released. They have attempted appeals a couple of times but the last time the judge ruled that there could be no time shortening for good behaviour. They’ll be very old men before they get out.
        Yes let me know when it is out Judy.

3. Strong imagery. I just finished reading Alice Sebold’s Lucky. Your story brought hers to mind. I’m glad for Katrina’s resilience. Sebold’s original determination to prevail whole eventually gave way to near self-destruction. It’s hard to survive such an attack.

4. lifelessons says:

I read Lucky a long time ago. I think they made it into a movie, didn’t they?

5. bkpyett says:

Since getting to know Rosie Batty, so much violence has surfaced. It’s a subject that needs airing.

Such a strong and powerful story! From fighting to helpless to refusing to stay lost. What a cycle in just 99 words. An incredible piece!

7. DMaddenMMA says:

By around word 30, I was saying, “Oh my gosh!” Very powerful punch in few words.

8. I don’t know if I should “like” this. Ouch, Irene. Tough one. So much lost in this. Like the ending but, in reality, I’m not sure… I wonder. I like that you have it there though.

9. joannesisco says:

This is a rough story to start the day but also a stark reminder that we can’t always control what happens to us, but we always have control over our reaction to it. Well done!

10. Pingback: Lost « Carrot Ranch Communications