99 word flash fiction: Onion

A friend introduced us. ” Jacqui, this is Onion.”

I raised my eyebrows “So you’re goin’ to make me cry.”

“Perhaps.”

Onion was the life of that party. He made me laugh as we danced and drank and joked our way through the evening. It was natural to meet again and again.

I found we held social justice views the same and we attended human rights marches and worked as advocates for refugees.

As I peeled back Onion’s layers, I found each one different and deeper and yes he made me cry as finally, he told of his own abuse.

In response to Charli’s prompt where all are welcome to participate. This week she asks:

August 19, 2015 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story that includes onions. It can be the main event or a spicy side to your flash. Think of the impact of onions — teary eyes, dragon-breath, indigestion. How can an onion add a twist, reveal a character or sabotage a perfect day? Have fun!

Respond by August 25, 2015 to be included in the weekly compilation.Rules are here. All writers are welcome!

This entry was posted in creative writing, fiction, flash fiction and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to 99 word flash fiction: Onion

1. FlutePlayer says:

The onion: distinctively collective.

This flash is just brilliant Irene. You and Onion had me laughing and then crying…this is perfect.

3. lifelessons says:

I love this story and I’m so relieved he didn’t make you cry by breaking your heart in a way other than telling his sad story. You did a very very good job with this prompt!!! What is This Doing Here?: Cee’s Odd Ball Challenge 8?23/15

4. Truly bizarre, Irene. Personifying the onion. (Or was “Onion” the man’s name? The photo is throwing me off.) Either way, I love it. Damn. I took the easy way out for this prompt.

5. Really good use of the word. Love this story

6. M-R says:

Like it a lot !! 🙂

7. Wonderful story – true friendship, built on sharing good times and bad but still maintaining respect. We’ve all got something to learn from Jacqui and Onion.

Fabulous story, Irene. What a great nickname for a interesting character: Onion. It’s often the way that the life of the party is hiding grief underneath. How wonderful that he and Jacqui became such good friends that he was able to talk about his abusive past. Hopefully now he’ll be able to heal. Great take on the prompt.

9. julespaige says:

We all have layers… some of the deepest ones never see the light of day until we find someone we can trust to listen.

An ogre is pretty much the same in most cultures and fairy tales. The movie was full of parodies on so many different nursery rhymes and stories. While there was three to the series that I know of the first will always be my favorite.

We associate layers with onions, but your flash is an example how a story can take a common analogy and make it meaningful. Well-written response!

11. Pingback: When Life Gives You Onions « Carrot Ranch Communications

12. jabberjeans says:

Really well written – and convincing in its stripping or presenting to us – of layers. 🙂