Friday Fictioneers: Found

©

©

Clay and Dot, cut and bruised, emerged from the stand of cassias. The canes on which the bright yellow flowers erupted had been thick and unyielding as they pushed through them to the bark of the tree in their search for signs of the green lunar moth and the brown Condica Videns.

“I’m hungry. Let’s get some grub.” Clay said.

“Okay. We’re not going to find any today.”

On arrival at the drive through collection window Dot grabbed Clay’s shoulder, pointing.

“We were looking under the wrong golden arches.”

“I guess they don’t know the difference. Both can kill you.”

In response to  Rochelle’s Friday Fictioneers. Join in you would be more than welcome. Other entries can be seen by following the blue frog and Rochelle’s post.

The cassia was my grandmother’s favourite tree. It required no care and was self-sown from the birds that feasted on its seed pods. The flowers were a lovely bright yellow and could either be a small tree or pruned into a shrub. It is now classified in many states of Australia as a noxious weed. What I didn’t know is that it is a source of cinnamon which until finding out today that it can be toxic I have been eating a lot of. It has great anti-infection properties and I am never sick. However, people ask me why I bruise so easily. Perhaps now I know the answer. Ceylon cinnamon does not have the same properties (it has less of them) but cinnamon made from Cassia is high in coumarin, another name for warfarin. Apparently cassia cinnamon is commonly used in the States where Ceylon cinnamon is used in the U.K. I don’t know where our cinnamon comes from in Australia.

This entry was posted in creative writing, fiction, flash fiction, Friday Fictioneers and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Friday Fictioneers: Found

1. Oh the irony, that what you seek shall arrive when you stop looking.
    And the photo – are you paying them scale?

2. Sandra says:

Interesting story Irene and even more interesting footnote. Thanks for that information.

3. rgayer55 says:

Oh, the cinnamon girl. Thanks for teaching me something. That was fascinating.
    Moths are where you find them I guess.

4. Loved the story and the footnote is very interesting!

5. Interesting info regarding the cinnamon. I also bruise easily here in Florida and also in South Africa. I do have quite a lot of cinnamon on my Chai Lattes. Maybe that’s why. Just before I read your story, I was reading an article on our South African news about someone finding a snail in their McDonalds meal. 🙂

6. The footnote was so enlightening … I know that we can get two kinds of cinnamon.. Only case when I care is when making mulled wine.

7. gahlearner says:

Fun story and interesting background. It’s always good to have information about the food we eat.

Ha, ha! This is true!

9. Love the footnote, and yes they both can kill! Well done!

That’s funny! The wrong golden arches! The information about cinnamon is also interesting. I knew it was supposed to be good for heart health. Didn’t realise the similarity to warfarin though.

11. Dear Irene,

Don’t you love the research trail? Good last line.

Shalom,

Rochelle

• Rochelle, Glad you liked the last line and I do love the research trail. I have to say that I am also caught in your book. The characters have captivated me and I can’t put it down. I find how they are treated just horrendous and I read on with great trepidation. Cheers Irene

12. The final line is spot on.
    I put cinnamon in my morning smoothie. Makes it taste wonderful and is supposed to deter diabetes which runs in our family.

13. Killer last line (no pun intended). Loved the bit about cinnamon, I better start taking it too 🙂

14. A creative story, and wonderful foot-note!
    (I also loved your About information.)

15. The footnote provides interesting insights.

I use cinnamom along with other spices in my daily cooking and onice in a while powdered cinnamon is used to brew tea.

16. Funny what a little research can do for your story.
    Good job!

17. Amy Reese says:

That’s fascinating about Cassia being high in coumarin. I guess you never know where FF will take you. Excellent work! Beware of those golden arches, no matter what or where.