Friday Fictioneers: Ostriches

©

© Jean L Hays

Spain and the crowds who lined the route from Paris to Andalusia were behind them.   Although a novice, John knew after the first gruelling 250 kilometres in Morocco they’d be lucky to get the car through the next two stages. The temperatures over 130 degrees had made them all boil. They’d used all their water. They’d need more to survive the 400 km to Ouarzazate. There were rumours that water in Errchidia was expensive during the race.

They travelled slowly, nursing their head and their block. Mile after mile of dry desert.

“What on earth?”

“Drivers who buried their head in the sand.”

In response to the photo prompt provided Jean L Hays for Rochelle’s Friday Fictioneers where all are welcome to join in the 100 word flash fiction challenge. To read other entries follow the link on Rochelle’s site by hitting the blue frog.

This entry was posted in creative writing, fiction, flash fiction, Friday Fictioneers and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Friday Fictioneers: Ostriches

1. cindy knoke says:

Oh hilairous and relates to a theme I’m about to post!

2. Fabulous and hysterically funny! You wrote a great story about the “ostriches!”

The last line matches the picture so well. Made me smile. Inadequate preparation = heads in the sand. Well done.

4. Vinay Leo R. says:

Quite the ending there! Funny 🙂 Wonder if the race was abandoned midway because they were unprepared.

My Fictioneers’ Story

5. Dear Irene,

So they weren’t drivers at the end, but ostriches? The race sounds grueling.

Shalom,

Rochelle

6. Great end to a brilliant little tale! Love it.

Visit Keith’s Ramblings!

7. micklively says:

Is this Paris-Dakar inspired?
    Good piece.

8. Liz Young says:

I do hope they make it – I could feel their pain!

9. Irene, I really enjoyed this one. I instantly thought of Paris-Dakar, but the ostrich comments from others threw me off… what am I missing re: ostriches? I assumed the head in the sand comment had to do with those who weren’t prepared for the race, not birds… but now I’m thinking I missed something? Clever and fun story though! It fits the prompt so well!

2nd Paragraph… shouldn’t it be “TheY travelled slowly… nursing their headS and their block” (what is block?)

• We have a saying here which I assumed was probably world wide but is obviously not. If some-one ignores the signs of impending doom because they are frightened we say “Don’t be an ostrich.” because rumour has it that (curtesy ten-ashx

Apparently this was a myth perpetuated by Pliny the elder in 73AD and over the years we have accepted it. http://cindyknoke.com/2015/07/02/high-plains-kickers/
      You are right it should certainly have been They. Thanks I have corrected that. The head and the block refers to parts of the car. The head is where the valves are located (full name cylinder head) and is essential for the running of the car. The block is the engine below the head.
      Glad you enjoyed the story Dawn. It was fun to write.

• Thanks! I know the reference, but thought I’d missed something more dramatic. It was a very funny and entertaining story, and sometimes the comments throw me off! I try not to read the, because of that. :-/ thanks for the explanation, Irene. 🙂

10. Oh that last line…Perfection and amusingly so!

Delightfully funny, that last line is like a punchline! I liked the story, too and could picture the race and the heat.

12. subroto says:

Ah that did remind me of the Ostrich in the sand too. But could not work it in. Nicely done.

13. rgayer55 says:

It takes a lot of planning and preparation just to survive to the finish. Well done.

14. BobiJo says:

Ha – Ostrich-head racers…Love it.

15. gahlearner says:

Heheh, best to be prepared because head in sand–not so good. Great story, very funny.

16. Ha.. yes I think this fits well to the picture