Early humans used this site at Les Baux en Provence with traces of man being found as far back as 6000 BC. It was known to be used as a fort by the Celts in 2nd century BC but during the middle ages it really came into its own. Sitting on its hilltop it was perfect position for the Lords to protect/control the 79 villages that were in the vicinity. In the grounds of the Chateau are placed reproductions of some of the archaic weaponry that was used.
The Counter-weight trebouchet is the largest catapult in Europe and is still in good working order. Every April to September demonstration of its use in addition to some other weaponry is carried out. This weapon appeared around 12th century AD and was found in both Muslim and Christian lands. It could throw a 160 kg projectile a considerable distance. There were none surviving after the 16th century and an engineer reproduced these from plans dating from 1324.
Built in the 10th century, the Chateau des Baux was a fortified castle which was largely demolished on the orders of Louis XIII. Clambering over the remains gave an idea of what it would have been like.
And the view showed why it was such a perfect place for a fort.
One of the villages the Lords protected.
In the village of Les Baux where once there were 4,000 plus residents it has whittled to a mere 22. A delightful village to wander.
In response to Paula’s Thursday’s Special. Here you can see other entries.