Friday Fictioneers: The Dinner

©

© Raina Ng

They cooked dinner on the second last night of their holiday. Their teenage children chided them but they had also enjoyed the fry-up: southern chicken, calves livers, chips, finishing with golden syrup dumplings.

It was the dumplings that did it.  They  boiled and spattered all over the wall. When Sonia wiped down the wall behind the oven it had come off easily. But so had all the other dirt. Years of grime. The clean portion of wall stood out, sparkling, necessitating cleaning the rest of the kitchen. They grumbled. Their last day wasted but, it did scrub up well.

This is in response to Friday Fictioneers hosted by Rochelle where if you follow the blue frog you can see other entries in response to the prompt by -© Raina Ng

This entry was posted in creative writing, fiction, flash fiction, Friday Fictioneers and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to Friday Fictioneers: The Dinner

1. Hehe. That happened to us once when we were kids. My sister decided to clean the kitchen for Mother’s Day. Well my mother then spent Mother’s Day cleaning.

Oh I know what that’s like. It’s probably why I don’t start spring cleaning. Once you start you just have to keep on going; and there are always many other things I’d rather be doing than cleaning! 🙂

3. Dear Irene,

I’d grumble, too, if I had to spend my holiday cleaning. Lovely descriptions.

Shalom,

Rochelle

4. Vinay Leo R. says:

Oh. I’d definitely grumble if I had to clean, especially on the last few days of vacations 🙂 The food descriptions were yummy.

5. What a lovely family vignette.

6. This made me hungry. Well done!

7. Forget the cleaning. I suddenly have a craving for chicken and dumplings! Great story.

8. Ah.. I had never imagined that deep-frying could lead to a cleaner kitchen afterwards.

9. Golden syrup dumplings? Dear god even reading that makes my arteries fur up. Nicely done!

10. Wouldn’t it have been wonderful if she’d found an old message scrawled on the wall! I feel a dumpling coming on!
    Rosey Pinkerton’s blog

11. That will teach her for cleaning!

12. Sandra says:

Never start what you can’t finish. A story that rings true for me too, Irene.

13. ansumani says:

It would have been easier if they spilled over the rest of the walls evenly…but no one listens to my advice 🙂

14. I prefer to leave the kitchen walls and tables sparking clean even if its the last day of the vacations.

15. Dave says:

Step one: chose the eldest child.
    Step two: whip liberally until desired cleanliness is achieved.
    Repeat as necessary.

16. Blasted dumplings! Cute story. 🙂

17. That’s very real. Always that cleaning up to spoil the end of the holiday.
    (Would they like to visit us sometime? Our kitchen could do with some scrubbing up.)

18. The price of dinner I’m afraid. I have been on that vacation.

19. wildbilbo says:

See, this is why I never clean.
    Clever story 🙂
    KT

20. plaridel says:

a lesson learned. it wasn’t a total waste.

21. Yet another reason to just eat peanuts!
    Cool tale, Irene.

22. Great descriptions, I think that would be my luck too!

23. adamjasonp says:

The years of grime is real. Cleaning it is another story…this story.

24. Amy Reese says:

Oh, not the grimy wall in the kitchen. It came out of hiding, did it? Once it’s out, you have no choice but to scrub it!

25. Margaret says:

That’s a disappointing finish to a nice holiday. The meal sounded worth it, however. Nicely described.

26. Mike says:

This sounds like my kitchen, ha

27. subroto says:

There is lesson here for the rest of us. Never make dumplings at home. The kids should have dirtied the wall again to match with the rest.

28. afairymind says:

What a way to spend the last day of your holiday! I’d be grumbling too. 🙂 Lovely story.

29. rgayer55 says:

My suggestion would be to build some type of frame around the clean area and stop there. I felt tendonitis coming on in my elbow just reading about all that work. 🙂

30. Nan Falkner says:

Dear Irene, Your menu sounds delicious but the dumplings didn’t co-operate! Good story! Nan

This is such a kitchen dilemma! Usually it occurs when the Hub cooks and splatters followed by me cleaning too deeply, thus requiring a deep cleaning all around.