99 Word Flash Fiction: Fear on the Island

©

© Charli Mills

The group alighted from the dinghy at the wooden steps and each, lost in their own thoughts of the week ahead, barely saw the opulence of their surroundings. They went to their rooms with instructions to meet in the garden for drinks  at 5pm precisely, dressed appropriately. That was the hard part, thought Kerry, just what is appropriate. She eventually picked on a skimpy bikini. Kerry’s heart sank, her fear real when she saw the others had chosen evening dress.

Hers was the only outfit not destroyed as the paint bombs flew. Filming of 13:Fear is Real had begun.

This week Charli has asked:

May 27, 2015 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story, using the above photo as a prompt. You can make it a garden party or an international spy thriller. Who is there and why? Does the backdrop scenery make an impact or is it ignored? The place is on an island, if you wish to make use of that. Go where the photograph leads you this week.

Respond by June 2, 2015 to be included in the weekly compilation.Rules are here. All writers are welcome!

This entry was posted in creative writing, flash fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to 99 Word Flash Fiction: Fear on the Island

1. Lily Lau says:

I enjoyed reading this post so much 🙂

2. Annecdotist says:

Love this, Irene. Good for Kerry, that social faux pas turning to relief … and perhaps she’d be allowed a little smugness.

3. Such a fun story. Love it

Ha! Excellent. Go Kelly, my kinda gal! Love the twist and how it’s easy to think you are failing when in fact you are in the best place.

Very amusing. Good on Kerry. Thanks goodness it was only paint bombs! 🙂

Oh, brilliant take! You turned it into a reality series! Reading your flash, it now occurs to me that these reality shows often travel to beautiful locations but everyone focuses on the created fear and drama.

What an interesting take! Good job, Irene!

8. joannesisco says:

I love it that her instincts turned out to be correct 🙂

9. Pingback: Garden Parties « Carrot Ranch Communications

10. Brilliant. Loved the twist (bikini) before the twist (reality TV). Fantastic take on this prompt.

You had me guessing every which way with this flash Irene, love it! I wasn’t expecting a reality TV show. This is wonderful and fun 😀