Friday Fictioneers: Son of Tane

pleisiosaur_

© Douglas M. Macilroy

Tiki climbed the pancake rocks and trudged through the cabbage tree forests looking for other men. He found nothing but birds — kiwis, moas and harpagornis. He was lonely. His search continued. Tane, his father, made a woman to keep him company after seeing  Tiki’s huge excitement at seeing  himself reflected in a pool. Happily they wandered. Chaste. Tane despaired at his son’s inactivity. He wanted grandchildren. He made an eel which the woman found.  Tiki became excited at his woman’s excitement, at her find.

That Danielle, is why the Tiki is a symbol of fertility. Tiki finally worked it out.

Word Count 100

The Tiki is common throughout Polynesia but in Maori mythology Tiki was the first man. The folk lore depends on the maori clan and the region of New Zealand and their are numerous variants. This is but one variant although not true to the original in entirety. We have © Douglas M. MacIlroy to thank for double daring us to look beyond the monster for this story today. Thank you to him for also supplying the photo prompt.

For more Friday Fictioneers please visit Rochelle and use the frog to see other stories.

This entry was posted in creative writing, flash fiction, Friday Fictioneers and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Friday Fictioneers: Son of Tane

1. Dear Irene,

Very enjoyable read and fascinating folklore.

Shalom,

Rochelle

2. I enjoyed that Irene, a very interesting read. Thank you.

3. gahlearner says:

I love this. It’s been a while since I read any Maori mythology, I need to find that book again. Decades ago I spent some time in New Zealand. Your wonderful take on the prompt sends me right back into memoryland.

Loved this introduction to Maori mythology. The photo was eye-grabbing!

5. wildbilbo says:

Nicely written, and an indication I know nothing about Maori mythology…
    I chuckled at the excitement over the ‘eel’ and how it helped Tiki to ‘figure it out’.
    Cheers
    Kt

6. Thanks for this. So much to learn.

7. Love it, and thanks for the exposure to Maori mythology.

8. ansumani says:

LOL. Tiki figured it out eventually….maybe he should have asked for directions 🙂 Nice bit of folklore too. Interesting.

9. Maori legends are so interesting.

10. I’m grateful Tiki’s woman preferred eels to sea urchins 😉 Thanks for the education.

11. I love the last line! Great take.

12. Margaret says:

Very enjoyable. The tone is just right for your slice of mythology, with a nice shift at the end.

13. subroto says:

Loved the retelling of a Maori mythological tale. They were probably also told as a way to impart ‘knowledge’ to younger generation in those days.

On a less serious note these days the young people just go on a contiki tour instead 🙂

14. What a wonderful old legend/folklore about how sexual excitement came to be. Who would have thought that an eel was the reason. 😀

15. Nan Falkner says:

Irene, excellent story – very interesting! Got to watch those eel’s. Nan

Oh Irene, I just love the stories you tell and the way you come up with such inventive ideas from these fiction-photo prompts. Thank you for teaching me about this hitherto unnknown (to me) piece of fok law. Not sure I’ll be able to think of anything else now next time I happen to come across an eel 😉 😀

17. afairymind says:

I know very little about Maori folklore so your story was a fascinating read. 🙂 Great take on the prompt.

18. Well, this was totally new mythology for me so it was great to learn. Last sentence was intriguing too; glad Tiki worked it out, now fade to black …

19. Great story, and an interesting subject I didn’t know anything about. Thank you.
    And I’ll be sure to keep my eye on those eels 😉

This retelling of a Maori creation myth reminds me that I wanted to find that of the Kalispell Tribe. Local legend is that Lake Pend Oreille is where the tribe originated. It involves a bear, although there is also a myth about Coyote saving mankind by eating a fish-snake. Creation stories are fascinating. I like how Tane gets frustrated of ever having grandchildren!