Friday Fictioneers: Lost in the Desert

©

© Douglas M. MacIlroy

“We should’ve stayed with the truck.”

” No-one would’ve found us. No-one knew we were in the desert let alone lost. I know there’s a  town at the end of the road else there’d  be no fence to keep the sand back.”  The two men staggered on, conserving their energy and need for water by not talking. Mile after mile.

” Look! Buildings.  A stream. A mirage?”

“That’s no mirage.” They ran to the water’s edge. Stefan put a cupped hand in it, screaming as his skin peeled from the flesh. ” God help us. They’ll kill us. We’ve found their nuclear reactor.”

In response to Rochelle’s Friday Fictioneers  where we are invited to respond in 100 words or less to the photoprompt this week supplied by Doug MacIlroy.

This entry was posted in fiction, flash fiction, Friday Fictioneers and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Friday Fictioneers: Lost in the Desert

1. micklively says:

I like the dramatic ending.
    Good piece Irene.

Good grief! What an ending!

3. Oh my, that was unexpected! Great story.

Wow. I love your flash fiction stories Irene…at first, the snow had me thinking of a scene out of the film ‘Fargo’, which is one of my favourites. You really knocked me off kilter with your shocking ending. Now I’m sitting on the edge of my seat wanting to know what happens next to these two guys…

5. Me thinks the radiation will kill them before the others have a chance.

6. Oh, scary indeed! But you had my undivided attention from the beginning to the end.

7. Wow. I wasn’t expecting that end. Well done.

8. Wow – that was a shocker! I wasn’t expecting that. Great writing!

9. Ooh, what an ending.

10. “skin peeled from the flesh” pretty graphic image and pretty upsetting. Don’t think there’s much room for hope here.
    Too bad. Randy

11. Frying pan meet fire! Great ending.

12. Dear Irene,

I’d say with skin peeling from flesh, they don’t have to worry about someone killing them. They’re dead already. Well done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

13. What a horrid end.. really good.

14. BrainRants says:

Well, he won’t have to worry about the thirst much longer.

15. Dave says:

Ruh roh. That’s gonna leave a mark.

16. gahlearner says:

Eek, that came unexpected. Unsafe nuclear reactor…. they’re dead. Great twist.

17. That is bad luck, indeed. Well ended.

18. Margaret says:

Very tense. They’re in hot water now for sure. Great ending.

19. Your story is quite similar to mine! 🙂

20. rgayer55 says:

Egads! Good thing he didn’t dive right in.

21. milliethom says:

Gripping story, Irene, and the surprise ending is excellent. The skin peeling from Stefan’s hand is an effective image.

22. Ula says:

Oh my, that is horrifying, but good.

23. Wow, when I got to the end I felt my face turn white. I would say that is excellent writing!

Oh, wow…quite the thriller!

25. Unexpected ending. Loved it! Brilliant use of the prompt. Well done 😃