Friday Fictioneers: Plodding

©

© Dawn Q. Landau

Doesn’t she realise I’m getting old. I used to love this walk when I was younger but now it’s all I can do to put one foot in front of the other. She wants her hiking badge I want my bed. The mile trek to the start of this track is enough. We’ll be half-way soon. At least then she’ll pat my head and give me a treat out of the bag on her back. I might even lie in the stream that’s there to cool down. I love lying and lapping at the same time.

Friday Fictioneers

The  picture is the PHOTO PROMPT. Where does it take you? Can you tell us in a hundred words or less? Take the road less traveled if you dare!

Photo Prompt Dawn Q. Landau

This entry was posted in fiction, flash fiction, Writing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Friday Fictioneers: Plodding

Only you, Irene, would show compassion and care for the dog!

2. karen rawson says:

Hiking badge 🙂 I wondered about that myself. Sweet story.

Great interpretation. I like this line: “She wants her hiking badge I want my bed.”

4. Amy Reese says:

I like your take, Irene. This reminds me of the dog that used to accompany a friend of mine when we ran together. The poor dog was getting so old and stopped every minute. He really slowed us down. Finally, he didn’t come with us anymore. I hope he found a nice blanket to lay on. Great story.

5. Nice. We had an old cat a while ago. Sad to see them slowly fade (as we do ourselves).

6. chamblee54 says:

The dog should be more concerned about the well being of the lady.

7. Margaret says:

That’s a great picture of bliss for an old dog – a treat, a lie down near a cool stream where you don’t have to move far to get a drink. Actually I know a few humans who think that way. Nicely portrayed.

8. Dear Irene,

Alas, our pets don’t live as long as we do. Nice dog POV story. I felt his fatigue.

Shalom,

Rochelle

9. oh — poor old dog.. not a lot of energy left in those tired old bones.

10. empeck says:

Aw, this poor pup (all sweet mannered dogs are puppies to me). I hope he got a nice, long break.

11. ahtdoucette says:

Aw…. I have to confess, sometimes it has made me teary-eyed to see old dogs who can barely get around anymore who I remember as pups and young hyper-active dogs. And you can tell they really want to be that same active doggy but they can’t. The end really got me, because the imagery of the water carries a feeling of death and the final rest. A heart-tugging story.

12. rgayer55 says:

I had a hunting dog named Elvis who still wanted to chase rabbits in his old age. I swear he would have had a hard time keeping up with a box turtle, but bless his heart, he never quit. It was fun to watch him plod along and bark every three steps.

• Elvis sounds as though he was a joy. I get a real kick out of my old boy Zac who plods along a few paces behind but the minute something stimulates him he manages a feeble attempt. He did manage to chase a duck swimming from one side of the river to the other in chase but he followed the duck who was pretending to be injured so his chicks could get away. He slept well that night. They give us great memories.