99 Word Flash Fiction: A life Span

© irene waters 2015

© irene waters 2015

The florist delivered more buds. Listlessly she read the attached card, these from a childhood friend of his. Not many had known him from birth. This was close. Happier times. They’d have better memories than her. The career failure, withdrawal, excessive drinking, anger. How that anger had hurt her. And him. His abuse caused his body to fail. The dementia that came and left him needing care. Those final hours as he battled for breath, his legs and face both purple.

Now the flowers arrived. A sick joke. She preferred the cards. Flowers, like him, buds one day then dead.

In response to Charli’s prompt:

January 14, 2015 prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a life span. It can a life of a person  as if flashing by or the life of a honey bee. What key elements would show a lifetime in brevity? Does it add to a character’s development or create tension? What is the emotion or is it void?

Respond by January 13, 2015 to be included in the weekly compilation. Rules are here.

This entry was posted in fiction, story telling and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to 99 Word Flash Fiction: A life Span

How powerfully poignant. The metaphor of the buds is telling. Good Stuff, Irene (I’ve never asked. Is it by preference Irene or Alison?)

Good stuff, Irene. The parallel between the buds and the dead husband (?) is great.

Powerful writing and that last sentence a punch. Good stuff. So much emotion contained and expressed.

4. Annecdotist says:

Very moving flash acknowledging the range of feelings, and especially the rage, that come with bereavement. I remember my grandmother, a widow in her 60s although she seemed very very old to me, annoyed at the sympathy cards she received, but I think a similar reaction to the flowers actually it’s it better, the feeling of what’s the point when they don’t last.

• Yes it is a really hard time and I think you do feel every emotion it is possible to have during it. Having something to focus those emotions on helps whether you see them as negative or positive items. Something lasting has more potential to ease the pain – maybe – we are all so different.

Great flash, Irene, packs a punch with emotion. As you say, each of us and our response to grief is individual. What may give one comfort, may only add to the hurt felt by others. It is always difficult knowing how to respond to someone who is grieving. There are no right words.

Powerful story Irene. Resonates in so many ways….

7. Pingback: Life Stories « Carrot Ranch Communications