I’ve never been one to have heroes. I didn’t follow bands as a child and I didn’t have pin-up posters of stars I was a fan of. Movie stars didn’t figure in my world, nor did super heroes. I did dress up as Annie Oakley and wield my six shooter at times but even she was not a hero.
I suppose an early hero was my Father and I have to say he never did anything that destroyed that image for me however, even there I wouldn’t classify him as a hero but a wonderful role model and person that I loved.
At five I was madly in love with Raymond F… a six-year-old in my class. I took him home to meet the parents as I was considering marrying him. He was sent packing and that was the end of our relationship. He took up with a girl whose parents were no doubt more accommodating.
At seven I had a severe crush on the first male teacher I had. Come to think of it in senior high school I had a crush on the only other male teacher that taught me. In both classes I excelled. I worked hard, simply to impress.
The only other person that I had some sort of hero-worship was Jon English after I watched him in the stage play Jesus Christ Superstar. A pity he played Judas. Despite that I had a few weeks where I doodled his face in my school books.
None of these people I think about apart from at times when prompted to write about “the heroes in your five-year old life.” Some people come to mind that, although I don’t consider them heroes, I certainly have the greatest admiration for them. They include people such as Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, The Dalai Lama. Even people like Joan Baez, Michail Gorbachev and John Lennon would make it to my list for their peace fighting and anti-war beliefs.
These are the true heroes but the five year old is incapable of knowing this.
- Dying A Hero’s Death | Parents Are People Too
- There’s No Such Thing As Superman | Must Be This Tall To Ride
- First Hero | Dreams to Reality !
- Heroic | Just for Fun Drawings
- Looking Up | HAPnHAP
- OUR HERO… | The Christian Gazette
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Nicole Sloan’s Writing
- Underdog | Bright Tuesday
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | The Uncustomary Housewife
- Oh Captain, My Captain! | Daily Prompt: Heroic | A Room of One’s Own
- Heroic | Wicked Words
- Finding Hero | The Sex Bandit
- Become Your Dog’s Hero: Photo Friday | Dog Leader Mysteries
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Occasional Stuff
- Astro Boy – Hero of Manga and Anime | Travel with Intent
- Daily Prompt: My Four Legged Hero | Reclaiming My Narnia
- S. Thomas Summers | The Wisdom of Trolls
- Heroic | Life as a country bumpkin…not a city girl
- Forever Heroes | Life Love Lily
- Heroic | Dhikrcave
- Super Mommy | martha0stout
- My Anti-Hero | charlottesville winter
- Country Singers, Girl Power and Annihilation- oh my! | Emotional Resonance and Rocket Launchers
- My first word was: Tata | ivymosquito
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Lines of Orenda
- ‘What doesn’t kill you…’ | Rima Hassan
- Daily blog prompt “Hero” | The Wandering Poet
- Daily Prompt: Heroic | Lux
- They Just Aren’t Made Like That Anymore | Call Me Incorrigible
- We Don’t Need Another Hero | Finale to an Entrance
- Not So Much a Hero | Shades of Teal
- Curtsies and Handshakes | field of thorns
- The Daily Prompt: Heroic | Joseph the Procrastinator
- My Hero | Making Life an Art
- Burning brightness | TJ Barker